Wednesday, July 27, 2011

First Kayaking Adventure

After a wonderful trip up Bear Mountain, the group finally had a chance to kayak. Everyone has been buzzing about kayaking sense we docked on the campground Sunday evening, and now we were getting the chance to do so! While everyone has excited with prospect of being out on the water, I myself was rather hesitant. Lindsey and I were the only two without kayaking experience. The only time I had ever even attempted, I tipped the kayak just trying to get into the water.

Here I was in the beautiful Adirondacks, on a pristine lake, on a beautiful sunny day, perfectly willing to let fear get the best of me and scrap the adventure all together. Not give this activity a second chance, just over the small chance that I might flip, which isn't even dangerous. What was I thinking? Clearly I was not thinking clearly. I ended up hiking past Kirby Camp and back, and am so happy I went. It also hit home how much experiental learning is fantastic and beneficial in all areas of life.

2 comments:

  1. It was nice to see you get "in the groove" after you got the hang of the kayaking activity. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great experience for you to draw on when teaching kids new concepts. You can even share this story with them.

    ReplyDelete